Downtown On Call
Your friendly neighbourhood redshirts
Covering a 42 square block radius, the Downtown On Call (DOC) team is trained to deal with front line issues related to personal safety, security, and hospitality, and helps to create a positive social environment in Downtown Kelowna. And they look good doing it, too!
If at anytime you are in immediate danger, call 911.
THE DOC TEAM CAN ASSIST YOU WITH...
- On-site assistance with loitering, aggressive panhandlers, and removal of unwanted individuals on private property
- Loss prevention
- Safe Walk escorts to either your car or another downtown establishment
- Bank drop escorts
- Drug paraphernalia and needle pick-up
- Tips and education for businesses to help reduce undesirable activity on their property, such as De-escalation Training
The DOC Team Plays A Vital Role By
- Providing information about Downtown businesses and community services, and giving directions to various locations
- Developing an awareness of and forming a connection to the homeless community in order to gain trust and cooperation
- Checking Downtown Kelowna each morning for sleepers, and removing temporary shelters so they are cleaned up for when businesses open
- Patrolling back laneways from late afternoon into the early evening to ensure alleys and parking lots are free of loiterers when office workers leave for the day
- Performing regular checks of parkades, parking lots, City Park, Kerry Park, Stuart Park and high traffic areas, along with inspecting public washrooms
- Working to develop, build and maintain relationships with Social Services agencies and RCMP to share information and concerns
- Finding solutions to minimize undesirable activity