Notice of Annual General Meeting
NOTICE OF ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
Wednesday June 7, 2023
9:00am – 10:30am
Location: Kelowna Yacht Club
Business and property owners within the Downtown Kelowna BIA boundary are invited to the Annual General Meeting on June 7, 2023, commencing at 9am.
This will be a great opportunity for DKA members to meet the Board of Directors and hear what the Association has accomplished over the past year.
Registration for the 2023 Annual General Meeting is required.
To register your attendance, email email@example.com or call 250-862-3515 Monday through Thursday between 9:30 and 3pm. When calling please ask for Liz.
Deadline for registration is Wednesday, May 31st at noon.
The purpose of the meeting is to consider the following:
- Results of the approval of the minutes of the 2022 Annual General Meetings.
- The presentation and acceptance of the 2022 Audited Financial Statements.
- Results of the Appointment of the Auditor.
- Results of the 2023 Board of Director Election.
- Reports from the Directors.
- Results of the Special Business resolution to approve the revised DKA Bylaws as circulated and listed below.
- The Board of Directors recommend the following Special Resolutions. Red text are additions and text that is striked out are deletions.
- Motion to approve the following Special Resolutions.
23. Number of Directors & Qualifications.
- The number of Directors shall be five (5) or a greater number as determined from time to time in accordance with the provision of the Societies Act at a General Meeting.by majority consent of the Board.
- The Directors shall be chosen from Active Members.
- The officers of the Society shall be a President, a Vice-President, a Secretary, and a Treasurer, all of whom shall be elected by the Directors from among their number at the first Director’s meeting after the Annual General Meeting of the Society and a Past President.
- No act or proceeding of the Directors is invalid only by reason of there being less than the prescribed number of Directors in office.
33. Committee Meetings.
- The members of a committee may meet and adjourn as they think proper.
- The Chairperson for the committee is assigned in accordance to policies created by the Board. A committee shall elect a Director as a chairperson of its meetings; but if If no chairperson is elected, or if at a meeting the chairperson is not present within 30 minutes after the time appointed for holding the meeting, the Directors present who are members of the committee shall choose one of their number to be chairperson of the meeting.
- Subject to the directions of the Directors, the committee shall determine its own procedures.
38. Past President. The Past President will act as an advisor to the Board based on their experience as President of the Society.
If clarification is required on any of these items, please call Executive Director Mark Burley at 250-862-3515 or email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
AGM Documents for Review
The following documents can be reviewed below, prior to electronic voting starting Friday, May 12, 2023.
- 2022 AGM Minutes
- 2022 Audited Financial Statements
- Board of Directors Nominees Biographies
- Proposed Revised Bylaws
2023 Board of Directors Election
The Downtown Kelowna Association (DKA) Board of Directors is voted annually by the membership and serve a two-year term. Any property owner or tenant of Class 5 or 6 real property, or a duly authorized employee of a property owner or tenant afore described, located within the Downtown BIA boundary is eligible to vote.
Click here for the list of candidates and their bios.
Electronic Voting Instructions
Electronic Voting opens: Friday May 12, 2023, at 12:00pm PST
Electronic Voting closes: Friday June 2, 2023, at 4:00pm PST
An electronic voting invitation will be sent to all primary voting Members on May 12, 2023 at noon.
Results of all electronic votes will be presented and declared at the Annual General Meeting on June 7, 2023. A unique, one-use link is necessary for electronic voting.
Please note, voting for this Annual General Meeting will be conducted in accordance with Bylaw 19. All voting members are entitled to vote.
Contact Elizabeth at email@example.com or (250) 862-3515 to have your unique electronic voting link delivered to you via email if you have not received your invitation from Election Buddy.
Has Your Contact Information Changed?
Please let us know! Contact Elizabeth Densmore, Administrative Assistant at 250-862-3515 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About The DKA
The Downtown Kelowna Association (DKA) is a registered not-for-profit organization dedicated to ensuring that the Downtown Kelowna Business Improvement Area (BIA) is a safe and desirable place to conduct business, live, and work through cooperative efforts of its members and government. Properties and businesses of Class 5 or 6 real estate within the BIA boundary are automatically a member of the DKA.
In North America, Downtowns are enjoying a resurgence in interest by citizens as they look for places where they can interact more with one another; walk more and drive less, and be recognized as vibrant, creative places. Currently, there are more than 1,400 BIAs across North America and more than 70 in the Province of British Columbia. These associations continue to build and enhance neighbourhoods through initiatives like advocacy, cleanliness, safety, business development, promotions, and events.
The DKA, officially registered in November 1989, is funded through a commercial taxation assessment levy paid by the property owners within the BIA to the City of Kelowna through the current Bylaw No. 10880. The annual levy becomes the Association’s base operating budget upon which the organization leverages additional funding from partners, including various levels of government and corporate sponsors, to support programs and initiatives.